Friday, February 3, 2012

The Injured Wrist Assumption

About a week ago, I burnt my wrist while making a cup of tea. A foolish accident, really. I was reaching to unplug the kettle and my wrist ended up getting hit with a jet of steam. I tried to do the first-aid thing myself, but when the injury is on your dominant hand, it's not the easiest thing to do. I ended up calling my friend, Claudina. who was was kind enough to come over and help me wrap my wrist up.

Freshly bandaged, I headed off for dance class, where I was greeted with a chorus of "What happened?", "Are you alright", and, most commonly, "Is that a baking injury?" Now, I know that I bake a lot. And I know that the people in my dance class often benefited from that baking. So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that that is the first thing people thought of when they saw my injury.

The only person who didn't immediately assume it was a baking injury was one of my dance instructors, David. Just so you understand his comment, you need to know that the previous evening, I had arrived at dance a bit early, and, having been crocheting a hat on the train on the way to dance, I took it out and continued to work on it. David saw me doing this and asked me a few things about what I was doing, and that was that. So, when he saw my bandaged wrist he asked "Is that a knitting injury?". Okay, I get that a lot of people confuse knitting and crocheting, and had I actually been knitting there is a remote possibility that I could have accidentally stabbed my wrist with a particularly sharp knitting needle. But, given that I was crocheting and the chances of injuring one's self with a crochet hook are virtually nonexistent, the next words out of my mouth were "What do you think this is, yarn burn?"

Life Lesson: People will always make assumptions about a situation based on what little they know about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment