Friday, December 9, 2011

The Migrating Student Solution

When I was on the second practicum of my Ed degree, I was teaching at a school where, on the whole, the students were less than motivated. This was particularly evident in the grade 11 Biology class I was teaching. While there was a core group of students who seemed to be doing their best to drive me out, there was one student in particular that took it as far as he could. Ty Berry. Within my first two hours of being at the school, 4 separate teachers had asked me what classes I was teaching and, upon hearing about the Biology class, said "Ty Berry's in that class. Good luck with that one."

Now, maybe I was being naive, maybe hopeful, maybe just looking at the situation with fresh eyes, but I was determined to turn that student around. I thought "Hmm, if everyone naturally assumes he is going to be bad, then maybe that is why he is." So, the first couple of days I watched, waited and formulated a plan. During these days, I noted that Ty never sat in his assigned desk. Well, not never. The one day he did, he moved back a row and took the desk with him. Generally, he would try and sit next to one of his buddies, which was never a good thing.

So, when the second week started, I put a plan into action. I was going to win the boys over, especially Ty, by playing just as dirty as they did, but in my own humorous way. I started by taping a sign on Ty's desk that said "This is Ty's desk." I then taped a square around the desk and put a sign there that said "This is Ty's desk's spot. It does not migrate." Same thing with the chair. Knowing that Ty would likely try and sit in another desk, and having observed his preference for which other desks to sit in, I taped a series of signs to them, say things like "This isn't your desk, Ty" and "Sorry, Ty, no luck here, either."

Well, when the class came in that day, there was a wave of laughter, as one student after another saw the signs, and watched as Ty went to each of the desks, as I had predicted, only to be directed back to his own desk.

Life Lesson: When coming up with a plan, make sure you have all possibilities covered. Never give your opponent a way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment